Thursday 11 May 2017

Book Review: He Said/She Said - Erin Kelly 



He Said/She Said is a gripping psychological thriller that I enjoyed immensely. In fact, I'd go so far to say that it is one of the best thrillers I've read this year!
The story reverts back and forth between timelines from 1999 to 2015.
In 1995, Kit is a lifelong lover of eclipses, and wants to witness as many as possible. He's been an eclipse chaser since his childhood. He is currently dating a woman named Laura. Along with his twin brother Mac and his partner Ling (who happens to be Laura's best friend), they attend a music festival in Cornwall to see an eclipse. 
It is at this festival that Laura witnesses what she believes to be a woman being raped. Kit is close by but doesn't see the incident taking place, however, he attempts to go after the attacker once he finds out what has occured. 
The victim is a young woman named is Elizabeth (Beth) Taylor. Her attacker is Jamie Balcombe. 
Both Kit and Laura make statements to the police and are later called to trial. 
Jamie claims that it was all consensual and that Laura has got it all wrong, but Beth claims that she was, in fact, raped. 
So who is telling the truth?

In 2015, Laura and Kit are married, she is pregnant with twins and Kit is going on a cruise to witness another eclipse.  
We discover that the impact of the court case still effects all four characters in different ways. I don't want to spoil it for others, but there are a lot of secrets, lies, and betrayals that I didn't see coming.

To say I was hooked on this story would be an understatement. I initially found it a little hard to get into, mainly due to the differing points of view and timeline changes, but it didn't take me long to get my head around it all and become completely engrossed. I really enjoyed how the story unraveled itself slowly; the benefit of the story going back in time is the insight we are given into Kit and Laura's relationship, and the in-depth idiosyncrasies each character has.
If you enjoy suspenseful novels, then this is sure to satisfy!

Have you read He Said/She Said yet? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

3 comments:

  1. This has been sitting on my to-read pile for a while now, but after your review I think it will be next on the list after I finish my current book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, it is a really good book (in my opinion), and I'd love to hear what you think of it when you get round to reading it xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Michelle, finished this one last well. Found it easy to get into and was quickly hooked and loving it. However, I didn't like the last few chapters and the way it all unfolded and ended. I felt a bit let down.

      Delete

I read and appreciate every comment; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!