Thursday 3 May 2018


Book Review: Stone Girl by Eleni Hale 




I'm fortunate that I am given the opportunity through various publishers to read books from many different genres.

I try to include a few books when making my selections that I usually wouldn't opt for at say, a bookstore or library.
As a result, I get to read gems like Stone Girl.
This book was so moving, and I highly recommend it.

The main character is 12 year-old Sophie, who becomes ward of the state after her mother passes away in tragic circumstances. She is estranged from her father, who resides in Greece, and has no other family to take her in.

Sophie is put into foster care and moved around from home to home. 
She witnesses the unstable behaviours of other foster children, and is forced to grow up fast as she gets pulled into their world.
As the years pass, Sophie struggles with many issues. She misses her mother terribly, and longs for stability and love.
She makes a best friend, Gwen, and meets a guy named Spiral.
He is the most beautiful boy that Sophie has ever met, and the two become inseparable. 
Sophie finally begins to face her demons and hopes to put her past behind her.
But will it be possible for her to do so?

I don't want to give too much more away as I don't want to spoil the reading experience for others.I will add that I suggest this book is suitable for readers aged 15+, given the mature content.
I was really drawn into the narrative and felt as though I was reading a true story.
I learnt a lot about homes kids and the world in which they live; the struggles they face and the lengths they go to in order to survive.
The world that Eleni describes is done so with impeccable detail and so I wasn't surprised to discover that author Eleni Hale was once herself a foster child during the 1990's.
I look forward to reading more from Eleni, as Stone Girl was great.


Stone Girl is available now through Penguin Books Australia, and has an RRP of $19.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!