Tuesday 25 September 2018

Beauty & Lace Book Club Read: Make Or Break by Catherine Bennetto



I've read Catherine's first book (titled How Not To Fall In Love, Actually) and after reading it, I knew that I would automatically look for and read any future works of hers as I really enjoyed it.
So when I was given the opportunity to read her newly released second novel, Make Or Break, thanks to the lovely people at Simon & Schuster as part of the Beauty & Lace Book Club, I was happy to be a part of it, and Make Or Break didn't disappoint!

The main character is 29 year-old Jess, who lives in London, works full-time, and has quite an anxious nature.
She is in a committed long-term relationship with her boyfriend Pete, (he is a PE teacher's assistant and loves partaking in various fitness-related adventures).
Jess is very close to her family - her loving parents, and her sister Annabelle, who is a single mum to two adorable children, Hunter, and Katie.

When Jess is invited to her best friend's last-minute wedding in South Africa, she is excited to go along with Pete, and even toys with the idea of proposing to him..
But unfortunately for Jess, the holiday doesn't go according to plan, and she is faced with quite a few dilemmas in her personal life.
There are a lot of things that happen and some really nice characters that enter the scene at this stage, and I am struggling to provide a review without elaborating too much as to what occurs...
I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that this is a really fun romantic comedy, but with some serious topics thrown in to the mix.
I adored Jess, she's totally relatable; I found myself nodding along in agreement on several occasions with the decisions she makes. She is very funny and sweet, and she cares a lot about her family.
The settings of Cape Town were described really well and allows the reader a real sense of the lifestyle and surroundings of South Africa. 
The title of the book has a second story behind it which I wasn't expecting, and I thought that it was quite clever.
I would gladly recommend this book. It is a really fun and easy read.

For my original review on this title, head here 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!