Sunday 29 April 2018

Beauty & Lace Book Club Review: The Memories That Make Us by Vanessa Carnevale




This is the first novel that I have read by Vanessa Carnevale, and whilst I had seen the stunning cover on various platforms across social media, I wasn't fully aware of the synopsis, so I went into this one without too much background about the story (which I actually prefer in most cases).
The story begins with Grace Ashcroft and fiance Blake Beaumont driving to Grace's best friend Scarlett's birthday party.
They have a collision and Blake is left with some minor injuries, whilst Grace suffers severe amnesia. She remembers nothing of her past - no memories of Blake, or of her job, or anything else about her life prior to the accident.
She is too distressed to see Blake, and refuses to give in to his longing to remind her of the love they once shared, and his hopes to go back to the way things were.
Scarlett tries her best to remind her of things from her past, to no avail.
After Grace discovers that she had inherited a flower farm that was once owned by her mother, she makes the decision to head there and see if she can try and figure out some of the answers to the questions she has about her past life, and about who she was before the accident happened.
She is welcomed into the Summerhill community quite quickly; meeting her veterenarian neighbour Flynn, Tilly, an old friend of her mothers, and Charlie, a local fellow with a generous heart.
As Grace adapts to her new life, she makes the decision to revive the flower farm, and Flynn offers to help.
As their friendship develops, Grace is torn between struggling to remember Blake, who writes to her in the hopes of jogging her memory about the love they once shared, and her new relationship with Flynn.
Grace is forced to look at the person she has now become, and needs to work out where her future should take her.
I don't want to say too much more than that as I don't want to spoil it for others, although I must say that I didn't pick the ending!
The beginning of The Memories That Make Us did remind me of a movie I have seen before, but thankfully the similarities ended there.

As gardening is on of my hobbies, I particularly enjoyed reading the detailed descriptions of the flowers, and the process of preparing and growing the flowers. I also enjoyed reading about Tilly and Charlie, and would've liked to read more about both of them as they added a special element to the story.

Thank you to Beauty & Lace and Harlequin for the opportunity to read and review The Memories That Make Us. 
You can read my review on the Beauty & Lace Book Club post here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!