Tuesday 22 September 2020

Book Review: The Survivors by Jane Harper




I've read a few of Jane's other novels and enjoyed them all, but I think that The Survivors is my new favourite of hers. I read it in less than a couple of days as I was so drawn into it.

Kieran and his girlfriend Mia, along with their baby girl Audrey, reside in Sydney, but they return to the Tasmanian town of Evelyn Bay to help Kieran's parents with an upcoming house move after his father is diagnosed with dementia. 
Both Kieran and Mia grew up in Evelyn Bay, but twelve years ago, a massive storm swept through the town, and  Kieran's brother Finn, along with his best friend Toby, both drowned.
Kieran has carried the guilt of that day with him all these years as he feels responsible that they were out on the water that day. 
Another local teenager, Gabby, who was Mia's best friend at the time, disappeared on the same day and was never seen again.  
Not long after the couple return to help with the move, a young woman named Bronte is found washed up on shore in suspicious circumstances. 
As her death is investigated, it brings back a lot of memories from the past, and some long-kept secrets finally come to light.
I thought this was an excellent book, highly addictive, and really had me turning the pages. I was suspecting most of the characters at various stages in the book, but actually turned out to be way off! 
I love the way Jane describes the coastal town, she has a way of making you feel as though you are there in the setting. 
I would've loved for the story to have an epilogue, just to tie in everything and answer those few questions I still had in my mind. 
I'd highly recommend this novel. 

The Survivors is available through PanMacmillan Australia from 22nd September.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!