Wednesday 23 January 2019

The Barefoot Investor For Families by Scott Pape 






I was recently reading a Facebook post by a woman in a forum who wanted advice on how to teach her kids about finance, and a lot of the comments she received made reference to The Barefoot Investor For Families book.
As a mum of three, I was interested in the advice offered, and jotted down the title before contacting the lovely people at Harper Collins Australia to discuss my interest in the book.
I was fortunate to receive a copy, and began reading it shortly after.

Having not read Scott's first book, The Barefoot Investor, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I did know that I would gain some valuable information about teaching my children about money.
And I have to say that I have learnt so much from Scott's guide, and I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Basically, Scott sets out 10 money milestones that children need to achieve before leaving home as adults. 
Obviously, every family is different and what works for your family may not work for your sister's, or neighbour's, etc. 
But the tips are invaluable and I feel a lot more prepared after reading it.
Some of the topics that Scott covers include teaching your children how to cook from scratch, selling some of their things that are no longer being used, or that they may have grown out of, saving money on bills, and the dangers and risks involved with owning a credit card. 
He also explains how the Barefoot Money Meals work (this was one of my favourite parts of the book!)
If you are unsure about the topic of pocket money, Scott has a brilliant strategy.
In a nutshell, you give your kid/s three jars (for storing their pocket money in), and three jobs (they get to choose the jobs, within reason). The money is paid every week on the same day, and divvied up. Best of all, it takes just 3 minutes every week.
I have implemented this in our home in the last few weeks, and I am pretty happy with how it has all turned out so far. I look forward to using more of Scott's tips in our home as my children grow (including his tips on getting a first job). 


The book is available now at all good bookstores, and has an RRP of $29.99
For further information on The Barefoot Investor For Families you can head here


No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!