Thursday 19 July 2018

Book Review: Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton






Before I begin my review, I just want to bring up the magnificence of this book cover! Isn't it stunning?!
And I'm so pleased to say that the story is equally as mesmerising.
I'm opting to keep this review rather short as I don't want to elaborate too much, but read Boy Swallows Universe as it is well worth your time in my opinion.

Eli Bell is a young boy growing up in Brisbane in 1984.
He has an older brother named August, who  hasn't spoken in years.
Their step-father is a heroin dealer, and their baby-sitter is a man named Slim who was once a notorious criminal, sentenced to life in prison.
Speaking of prison, their mum is in jail. As you can imagine, Eli really has a complicated life, and is exposed to many things that a boy his age shouldn't be exposed to. But this is just the beginning!!
We are taken on a great journey as Eli tries to understand just what it takes to be a good person, and to learn some valuable life lessons from the people that he loves. 
This book kept me hooked in with its storyline. The characters are very well developed, and I was cheering for Eli all the way through. 
As I grew up in the 1980's, I really enjoyed reading about the things from this era; it bought back many memories, and it made me enjoy the story even more.
I agree with the claim on the back of the book that this is 'An Australian Classic In The Making.'
It has some moments that will make you laugh, and others that will make you cry.
I would highly recommend it, and look forward to reading more from Trent Dalton in the future.

Boy Swallows Universe is available through Harper Collins Australia this July and has an RRP of $32.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!